The Calvay Centre was opened in 2007 after major refurbishment to the existing building. The Centre has a 12 place IT Suite as part of John Wheatley College's Learning Network and a family centre operated by Quarriers. The Centre's aim is to provide a focal point for the neighbourhood and to offer services that enhance the lives of residents and to offer meeting space for local groups and organisations.
Further information on The Calvay Centre is available from Yvonne Smith on 0141 771 1864.
The following services operate on a weekly basis:
• Free Internet access, Monday to Friday from 9:00 - 5:00
• Tutor supported IT class on Tuesday 10:00 - 12:00
• Youth club for 12 + on Monday 6:00 - 8:00
• Calvay Dance Class operates on Tuesday between 6:00 - 8:00.
• Calvay Boxing Club operates on Tuesday from 6:00 - 8:00
• Weight Management Class on Monday at 11:30 plus Alternative Therapies on Tuesday & Friday provided by The Community Health Shop
• Bingo on Wednesday and Sunday from 7:00 pm run by Calvay volunteers.
• Kidzone Aged up to 12 yearson Thursday, 6:00 - 8:00.
• We also have a Beauty Therapy Service operating on Thursday & Friday.
• Calvay Grocers opens Monday to Friday 9:00 - 5:00 offering discounted food at affordable prices.
The Centre relies on support from local volunteers and we welcome anyone with time to spare.
We have volunteering opportunities for those who would like to support our "Wee Shop". This would require a commitment of 3 to 4 hours per week.
We are also looking for volunteers to support opening of our IT Suite on Tuesday evenings. Only basic skills are required and full training is on offer.
We offer a range of training courses throughout the year e.g. first aid, food hygiene, basic DIY skills etc. free of charge
If you would like more information or want to discuss volunteering with us, then call Yvonne Smith on 0141 771 1864 or drop in to the Centre.