Paying Your Rent

Paying Your Rent


The Association aims to offer a payment facility that suits your needs, hence the range of options detailed. Payment can be made with whatever frequency you desire (so long as it is in advance). Payments can therefore be made weekly, fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, etc.

If you would like to pay your rent now please click here.

As pointed out in your tenancy agreement, the rental charge is based on a 12 month cycle.

Options for making payments are:

  • By Cash at your local Post Office or PayPoint – using your Allpay.net rent payment  card you can call at any PayPoint or Post Office and make a payment to your rent account. To find your nearest outlet please click here.
  • By Direct Debit - this system allows you to authorise the Association to debit your bank/building society account with the appropriate sum at an agreed frequency. You can obtain a Direct Debit Form from the Association’s office.
  • By Post - cash should never be submitted by post. If you wish to pay via this method, payment should be made by cheque. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Cloch Housing Association Limited’.
  • By Telephone – using your Allpay.net card and a valid Debit Card you can call Allpay.net’s call centre and make a payment to your rent account. To make a payment in this way please telephone the allpay.net call centre on 0844 557 8321.
  • Via the Internet - using your Allpay.net card and a valid Debit Card you can make a payment securely on-line by visiting www.allpayments.net. You will need to register if you haven’t used this system before.
  • By Debit Card - you can also pay by card via the office, just call the office with your credit or debit card details and speak to your Housing Officer.
  • By Text - You can pay your rent by text message. Text payment from Allpay is a secure SMS bill payment option, giving you even more flexibility in the ways to pay your rent. To begin texting your bill payments, you simply need a UK-registered mobile phone, a valid Allpay rent payment card and a current debit or credit card.  After a quick registration online at: https://www.allpayments.net/textpay you can pay your rent anytime, anyplace, anywhere – quite literally!  All you need to do after registering is text a simple code and the amount you wish to pay to a designated number every time you want to make a payment.
  • Rent Direct - from the Benefits Agency – only available for tenants who are in receipt of Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance and are in arrears. The Benefits Agency will arrange to retain a fixed sum from the benefit and submit this frequently to the Association. Please ask a member of the Housing Services Section for details.
  • By Mandate - some employers are willing to retain payment of rent off the employee’s wages / salary and submit this to the Association on an agreed basis (please check with your employer initially before asking the Association’s staff for details).
  • The Allpay App – If you have a smart phone The Allpay App, is a brand new mobile phone application (App) available to download from the Apple App store and the Android market place for android small phones. This provides all the benefits of using all pay cashless payment system from your phone and the App is free to download and use.

If you are not sure what is the best payment option for you please ask a member of the Housing Services Section for advice.

Having Difficulty Paying Your Rent?

If you fall into arrears, it is vital the problem is discussed quickly. Consult with your Housing Officer as a matter of urgency. Your Housing Officer may be able to assist you in maximising your income and help you reach an arrangement to clear your arrears.

There are many reasons why you should avoid falling behind with your rent:-
• You may not be allowed to transfer to another Association property
• You may not be allowed to exchange houses with another tenant
• You will not receive a satisfactory reference from the Association if you want to move to another tenancy with a different landlord, or take out a mortgage or loan on a property
• You may lose your home

We are aware however that people can at times experience difficulties that result in problems making rent payments, and we are here to help.

What Should I Do If I Have Rent Arrears?

Contact us and agree a suitable repayment agreement

Contact your Housing Officer immediately if you are having difficulties paying your rent. Your Housing Officer can arrange for you to repay your arrears by instalments over a period of time. The repayment arrangement will take account of your household income and any other financial commitments you may have. Your instalment payments can be made on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.

Rent Arrears – Legal Action

If you don’t contact us about missed rent payments or don’t keep to your repayment arrangement, you will very quickly have serious rent arrears. The Association will then have no alternative but to take legal action against your tenancy. This means we will ask the Sheriff Court for an order which makes you pay back the rent arrears and may also allow us to evict you from your home.

Housing Benefit

If you are facing difficulties paying your rent, either because your income is low or you have had to stop work you may be entitled to receive Housing Benefit towards your rent.

If you think that you may be entitled, you should complete a Housing Benefit application form (available from our office) and return it to Inverclyde Council’s Housing Benefit Section at the Contact Centre, Municipal Buildings, Clyde Square, Greenock. Our staff can help you complete a form.

It is worthwhile making an application even if you are unsure whether you are eligible. The amount of Housing Benefit you will get will depend on your income and your family circumstances.

From the 1st April 2013 the Welfare Reform Act came into force, as part of the Act the Government reduced the level of Housing Benefit you receive if you are of working age and are under occupying your home. This means if you live in a home that is too big for you your Housing Benefit will be reduced by up to 14% of the weekly rent for that property if you have one extra bedroom that isn't needed, and up to 25% if you have two extra bedrooms. These reductions, depending on your circumstances, could mean you lose a large amount of housing benefit.

Welfare Rights Advice - Debt Counselling

Cloch Housing Association works in partnership with other local housing associations and the Financial Fitness to provide welfare benefits advice and debt counselling.

Financial Fitness can offer you advice and assistance to maximise your income, help you apply for Housing Benefit or appeal against a Housing Benefit decision which you disagree with. Your Housing Officer can refer you to this service or you can contact Financial Fitness directly by calling 729239 or emailing finfitteam@yahoo.co.uk

Cloch Housing Association is a non profit making registered charity. Most of our revenue income comes from rents and any surplus income each year is invested in our repairs and maintenance programme. It is therefore essential that arrears are kept to a minimum.

It is the aim of Cloch Housing Association to act to prevent rent arrears building up. We will recover any arrears fairly and effectively in accordance with our policy.

The objective of the Association's Current Arrears Policy is to minimise loss of rental income by prompt, effective management, recovery and control of arrears and to provide a service to tenants whereby they are given advice and assistance to maximise their income and minimise their debt, particularly in relation to rent arrears.