Aids & Adaptations

Aids & Adaptations

Aids and Adaptations

Each year the Association with the assistance of Scottish Government funding, carry out a wide range of medical adaptations which have been requested by tenants via the Occupational therapists at the Centre for Independent Living. The work is carried out to the homes of residents who are either elderly, infirm, have a disability or have a family member with a disability.


The Association will bid for the estimated amount required for adaptations each financial year through the Strategy and Development Funding Plan. The Scottish Government will announce the level of adaptation funding which will be allocated to the Association for the year. Once this funding has been used and drawn down, further discussions will take place with the Government regarding further funding allocations. This can differ on a year-to-year basis. The Association will also, on occasion, fund adaptations from its own resources.

Notification of Adaptations, Referrals and Prioritisation

All adaptation requests must be referred through Inverclyde Council’s Occupational Therapist (O.T) Department at the Centre for Independent Living using a CL1 form (with the appropriate priority grading). Any tenants requesting adaptations directly from the Association will be referred to the Centre for Independent Living (phone 714350). Should there be uncertainty over priority in these cases, or the Association’s ability to carry out a particular adaptation then this will be discussed with the Centre for Independent Living.

The Association will only carry out certain adaptations which qualify for funding, usually permanent adaptations. There are also adaptations which the Association is unable to carry out to certain properties due to the type of adaptation, the construction or type of property or in relation to the future use of the property. Please refer to the Association's Special Needs Adaptations Policy for more details.

Where the funding allocation from the Scottish Government is less than is required and the Association is unable to fund any further adaptations all new requests will be put on a waiting list based on level of priority and date of referral. The Association will advise the Centre for Independent Living and the tenant of this in writing.

On completion of works the O.T. will be informed and the work will be subject to a post inspection carried out by our Maintenance Officer, the result of which will be recorded in the association’s medical adaptations register.

More Information

If you would like more information about aids and adaptations please contact the Centre for Independent Living (phone 01475 714350) or call our Property Services Team 01475 783637 option 1.