Paying Your Rent

Paying Your Rent

If you wish to pay your rent online, click here to be redirected to, our preferred internet payment facility.

Rent is payable in advance on or before the 1st day of each month. To ensure that your payment is received no later than the 1st of the month please ensure that your payment is made prior to the 1st of each month to allow 3-4 days to reach the Association's account. You can make payments to your rent account by any of the following methods:

By Direct Debit (forms are available from our office on request)
By Standing Order (forms are available from your bank) 
By Allpay Payment Card (the card can be used in the office or in any post office or shop displaying the Paypoint/Payzone sign.) 
By Post - cheques or postal orders should be made payable to Kingsridge Cleddans Housing Association Limited. Please ensure your address is written on the back of the cheque. Again, you should only pay your rent using this method if you have made an arrangement.
Via the Internet by using the above Allpay link 
Using your debit card by telephone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (dial 0844 5578321 and follow the instructions)

If you are having problems paying your rent, you must contact us immediately on 0141-944-3881 to make an appointment either at the office or at your home. Please remember it is your responsibility to pay rent when due and to keep your rent account clear.


Housing Benefit is a government subsidy administered by the local authority (Glasgow City Council), which helps people who are on lower incomes to pay their rent. If you qualify for Housing Benefit you will pay a reduced rent every month. All tenants can apply for Housing Benefit by completing a Housing Benefit claim form available at the office or by contacting the local Housing Benefit Office on 0141 287 5050.

We are very keen to see all those who might qualify for benefit applying for it. In particular, if you are either in a lower paid job or in receipt of any form of benefit from the Department of Works and Pensions, then you should put in a claim for Housing Benefit. If you are in any doubt as to whether you would qualify for Housing Benefit then you should apply.

If you apply for Housing Benefit, it is important that you submit a clean claim, with all information complete. If additional information is requested, you must ensure that this is provided straight away as failure can result in your claim being made ineligible.